Shellfish

I killed my first clams yesterday. 24 hours later, I still feel guilty for steaming them to death. I don't know how people can boil lobsters and crabs alive; clams look like rocks and I still feel like I did a horrible thing. I mean, I know people have that whole debate about whether or not invertebrates can feel pain and can suffer, but I feel sometimes that people just say that to make themselves feel better about squashing centipedes and boiling lobsters and things. Scientific testing is inconclusive, so I don't really believe that they absolutely don't feel pain. Which bothers me.

I don't really have a problem with eating shellfish if it comes to me covered in SAWCE and looking delicious. But the act of killing them makes me sad.

The problem is, I love eating clams. What a dilemma.

0 comments:

Post a Comment