Sebastien Tellier/Evgeni Plushenko on EUROVISION?!

I was listening to Sebastien Tellier's "Look" while researching his older albums on Wikipedia, when I stumbled across a sentence that interested me greatly:


On 7 March 2008, it was announced by Bruno Berberes, head of EBU delegation in France, that Tellier would represent France in the Eurovision Song Contest 2008.

WHAT?! Sebastien Tellier was on EUROVISION?! THE Eurovision, the one of dancing Moldovan saxophonist fame? So, naturally, I had to watch. It was campy, strange, and completely worth the 3:07 minutes of my night.



In the comments section, someone mentioned an ice skater in the Russian 2008 Eurovision entry, and I couldn't possibly miss out on watching that. So I did. Dima Bilan, the singer, did not seem particularly talented or interesting (his voice most certainly did not seem to merit his Eurovision 2008 victory), but when I fast-forwarded to the ice skating part of his number, I was shocked to see EVGENI PLUSHENKO, the 2006 Olympic gold medalist and 2002/2010 Olympic silver medalist in figure skating. THE Plushenko, who wore a sequined glitter faux-vest as part of his skating costume design in 2010 and is a 3-time figure skating world champion. Watch here.

What was most amusing about his performance was not necessarily that he was actually AT Eurovision (that was more baffling than amusing), but that he was skating on a VERY tiny ice circle around the violinist and singer. When I say tiny, I mean TINY. Definitely no room for triple axels or toe loops, and barely enough room for his arms to spread out without knocking the violinist in the head. The whole scene was reminiscent of a flamboyant, expensive European merry-go-round.

(via Daniel Aragay through Wikipedia)
















YES. ON THE RIGHT. THAT IS HIM AT EUROVISION. NEXT TO AN OPEN-SHIRTED MAN IN WHITE PANTS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment